Full course description
Understanding Food Labeling Regulations
This interactive, self-paced course provides critical information about FDA food labeling regulations and other subjects related to commercially produced products made by food companies of all sizes.
- Chrome is the preferred browser.
- First-time users will need to respond to a confirmation email from Canvas Catalog.
- Use the Outreach Login option to log in, unless you have OKey credentials.
- Contact the OSU IT Helpdesk if you need assistance.
This interactive course is designed for both beginning and advanced food industry professionals.
- Around 4 hours total.
- The course is divided into nine modules that can be completed at your own pace.
- Each module should take approximately 25 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Compare and contrast different regulations that govern food labels.
- Identify FDA's policy for labeling food products, as well as USDA's policy for meat products.
- Recognize the elements required for a label.
- Identify the purpose of labeling mandatory nutrients.
- Explain the different health claims.
- Apply label properties based on allergens.
This is an asynchronous, self-paced course. You will engage in learning activities and take quizzes.
- Laws, Regulations and Guidance Documents
- Mandatory Labeling Elements
- Food Allergen Labeling
- Nutrition Labeling
- Trendy Claims and Current Topics
- Health Claims
- Nutrient Content Claims
- Labeling of Special Cases
- Basic Overview of USDA-FSIS Regulations
Completing the Course
- To complete the course, you must access all pages and earn 80% on the assessments.
- Once you have completed the course, you can print a certificate of completion.