Full course description
Introduction to Prescribed Fire
This a self-paced online training course that will prepare you to conduct a safe and effective prescribed burn. You will learn why fire is a crucial part of a healthy ecosystem and to create a fire plan to meet your land management goals. The course features interactive learning activities and custom videos.
- Chrome is the preferred browser.
- First-time users will need to respond to a confirmation email from Canvas Catalog.
- Use the Outreach Login option to log in, unless you have OKey credentials.
- Contact the OSU IT Helpdesk if you need assistance.
- 8 hours total.
- The course is divided into 9 modules which can be completed at your own pace.
- Each module will take about 30-60 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Explain why fire is a crucial part of a healthy ecosystem.
- Identify key considerations for creating a fire plan.
- Recognize safe practices for conducting a prescribed burn, including equipment, firebreaks and smoke management.
- Describe the best practices for meeting the land management objectives using prescribed fire, including ignition and season of burn.
This is a self-paced, course. You will watch videos, engage in activities and take quizzes.
- Introduction to Prescribed Fire
- Prescribed Fire Law and Liability
- Fire Prescriptions
- Fire Effects
- Smoke Management
- Burn Seasons
- Fire Equipment
Completing the Course
- To complete the course, you must access all pages and earn an assessment of 80%.
- Once you have completed the course, you will be granted a certificate of completion.