Full course description
This self-paced online course will provide an overview of issues that new poultry owners can expect to face as they select and care for their flocks. The course features interactive learning activities and custom videos.
- Chrome is the preferred browser.
- First-time users will need to respond to a confirmation email from Canvas Catalog.
- Use the Outreach Login option to log in, unless you have OKey credentials.
- Contact the OSU IT Helpdesk if you need assistance.
- 3 hours total.
- The course is divided into 4 modules which can be completed at your own pace.
- Each module should take approximately 30 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Select the right birds for your needs.
- Choose the right housing and equipment for your birds.
- Describe the best practices for caring for chickens at different stages of life.
- Recognize and prevent common health issues.
- Apply best practices for biosecurity.
This is an asynchronous, self-paced course. You will watch videos, engage in learning activities, and take quizzes.
- Selecting Your Birds
- Caring for Chicks
- Caring for Chickens
- All about Eggs
- Poultry Health and Disease
- Backyard Poultry and Implications for Public Health
Completing the Course
- To complete the course, you must access all pages and earn 80% on the assessments.
- Once you have completed the course, you can print a certificate of completion.