Full course description
- Watch this How to Enroll Video
- Chrome is the preferred browser.
- Do not type your name in the box. Instead, click on Sign in here.
- Use the OKey Login box to log in.
- Contact the OSU IT Helpdesk if you need assistance.
Public course available on OSU Extension Catalog
This course is for OSU Extension staff professional development. Others should enroll at https://osuextension.catalog.instructure.com/
- Eight hours total
- The course is divided into 9 modules which can be completed at your own pace.
- Each module should take 30-60 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, you will be able to
- Explain why fire is a crucial part of a healthy ecosystem
- Identify the key considerations for creating a fire plan
- Recognize safe practices for conducting a prescribed burn, including equipment, firebreaks, and smoke management
- Describe the best practices for meeting the land management objectives using prescribed fire, including ignition and season of burn
This is an asynchronous, self-paced, course. You will watch videos, engage in learning activities, and take quizzes.
- Introduction to Prescribed Fire
- Prescribed Fire Law & Liability
- Fire Prescriptions
- Fire Effects
- Smoke Management
- Burn Seasons
- Fire Equipment
Completing the Course
- To complete the course, you must access all pages and earn 80% on the Assessments.
- Once you have completed the course, you can print a certificate of completion.