Full course description
- Watch this How to Enroll Video
- Chrome is the preferred browser.
- Do not type your name in the box. Instead, click on Sign in here.
- Use the OKey Login box to log in.
- Contact the OSU IT Helpdesk if you need assistance.
Ranchers see the significance of proper nutrition in their herds every day whether that be cow, calf, stocker, or feedlot. Feed and grazing costs make up 45 to 70 percent of total costs in beef cattle enterprises. The efficient utilization of feed and forage resources represents a major opportunity to improve operational profitability. This course is intended to familiarize participants with the fundamental principles of beef cattle nutrition. An overview of the ruminant digestive system anatomy and physiology, nutrient requirements, and nutritive value of feeds are provided in a series of interactive modules.
- 6 hours total.
- The course is divided into 7 modules which can be completed at your own pace.
- Each module, including the quiz, should take approximately 60 minutes to complete.
After completing this course, you will be able to
- Identify key aspects of the beef production cycle.
- Remember the basics of ruminant anatomy and rumenology.
- Memorize the main nutrient requirements of beef cattle.
- Recognize factors that influence feed intake and nutrient requirements in beef cattle.
- Describe how the chemical composition and nutritive value of feeds are determined.
- Classify and describe body condition and how that impacts animal production.
- Balance and analyze basic rations for beef cattle.
This is an asynchronous, self-paced, course. You will watch videos, engage in learning activities, and take quizzes.
- Introduction to Beef Cattle Nutrition
- Ruminant Digestive System
- Nutrient Requirements I
- Nutrient Requirements II
- Nutritive Value of Feedstuffs
- Body Condition Scoring
- Ration Balancing
Completing the Course
- To complete the course, you must access all pages and earn 80% on the Assessments.
- Once you have completed the course, you can print a certificate of completion.